Friday, December 4, 2015

Coup in the Kitchen

The coup began last Sunday afternoon. Melanoma Man saw me looking through my notebook.He asked if I was menu planning for the week. I was, as I have been for the last 7 weeks or so. We have a zillion cookbooks, but the things I really cook are in the notebook. MM uses cookbooks when he cooks. He's all Jacques Pepin and Julia Child. Hard to believe he was the king of carry out and didn't know how to cook just a year or two before we met. 

MM got out his menu planning paper and sat down with me to plan. I took an inventory of our raw ingredients and then just let him run with it. Monday when I got home there was dinner, and Tuesday too, leftovers on Wednesday, and Thursday. He grocery shopped, little mini trips, rather than one big trip. I think he was trying to show me that I could go to Leslie's funeral, that he could man the fort. 

I coached the boys on how to be helpful in my absence. Butter is usually a decent helper unless he is starving or experiencing the delightful mood swings of adolescence, which occur at least twice daily. iMac protests a bit about doing dishes, but I know he is bluffing. MM had had his best week yet since brain surgery, so while some days I have felt worried just leaving to go to work, this week has been almost worry free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment