Monday, January 20, 2014

Cure for the flu!! Alert alert

I have been laid up in bed for 3 days with the flu. Felt a little strange on Friday afternoon,soles of my feet hurt when I woke up Saturday. By noon I was aching all over. Four o'clock fever, headache, dizziness and cough. Whoo that was fast. I got my flu shot in September as all good nurses do. Perhaps a different strain  of flu. I weighed my options, to go to urgent care for an official diagnosis and possibly Tamiflu prescription or just hang out in bed. Since I don't have any of the high risk conditions associated with complications from the flu and the Tamiflu only reduces duration by 1-2 days I decided to hang out in bed, playing keep away with Melanoma Man and the kids. Nothing attracts a fan base like a sick and feverish Mom in bed. The keep away approach was unsuccessful. More of a boy magnet, something I never perfected in my youth. Today was MLK day, so kids home from school. iMac with several large homework assignments to mope around about. IMac had "forgotten" to disclose these assignments 7-10 days ago. This always leaves me furious with MM, as in WTF are you doing to help the kids learn organizational skills? Then guilty, as in cancer guilt. It is a miracle that I did not spew my anger and disappointment all over the house. iMac has completed oodles of work today and I managed not to destroy anyone's ego, except perhaps my own.

Day two of flu/ Sunday, the tears came. Something I don't like about being still, the tears come, and bring with them regrets and grief. It occurs to me that I don't have much to show for my life. Yes here comes the drama. Just to make myself feel a little bit crappier I recall that I was ranked third in my senior graduating class from high school. The student ranked second, just one notch above me, founded Ebay. And back to the tears, crying gives me a headache, so it is best to do in the morning, preferably on the way to work. Then I have a whole day for the swelling to go down and a chance at a good night's sleep without a headache. Crying on the way to work was a great solution there for awhile, when. I worked with the best Advisory Committee ever,  Cici, Nancie, Ann, and Vicki who were always able to patch me back together in 15-30 minutes. So no car crying for me since starting the new job September 30th. 

Tomorrow morning I plan to cure my flu and my attitude by going to work and being useful. I could probably even get away with some car crying. I could tell my new co-workers " My face is just puffy from being sick." They might even believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment